Twelve Days of Christmas

by Cathie Wood Owens
Salt Lake City, Utah
12/2010

12 Days of Christmas

The year was 1995 and my husband was dying of kidney failure.  He had been on the dialysis machine for 20 years and his health was failing fast.  He withdrew from dialysis after a major health problem.  His health was so, that he was going to go to a care center and it was all arranged.  Then he asked me “can I just come home to die?”  So, he came home for his last 10 days on this earth. 

As we waited for the appointed time for him to return to our Heavenly Father, there were many angels that Christmas.  First of all the Spencer 4th ward in Magna where we lived was filled with lots of angels.  They brought in yummy food every day, for my little family.  My son was 13 and my daughter was 7. 

The Christmas shopping had not been done, so Santa would probably not arrive that year.  However, two of my best friends Vickie & Barbara, from Beehive Clothing came to visit.  They asked if there was anything they could do.  I told them that the shopping had not been done, but that I had some money.  So, they enjoyed buying gifts for my two kids.  They brought all the gifts wrapped and put them under the tree.  What a relief to not go shopping and have things ready for Christmas.

I had lots of family support and they would come and take care of my husband while I ran to the store or return dishes to the ward members, and just got out of the house for a break.  I did not want to be away from my husband for very long so I would hurry as fast as I could.  This was the time that his mother could spend time with him also.  I slept on a mattress in his room so that all his needs could be met. 

Usually when someone takes themselves off of dialysis it is only a matter of a few days until they pass away.  But in my husband’s case, it took 10 days.  He always wanted to read the scriptures together.  In his last hour I remembered that we had not read together that morning so, his scriptures were there on the night stand.  As I read to him there was an immediate calm come over him and I knew he could hear my voice and was enjoying the time together.  You see, he had had some seizures in those final ten days that left him unable to talk. 

My sister in law Sherry is an RN and she came to our home after her work shift and was there to watch and give instructions that last day.  She would tell me some of the signs of a loved one passing and always knew what Steve needed. 

So much love and support was given, the phone was always ringing, the door bell with wonderful friends and family.  It was a hard time for me, but also a wonderful time of love and support.  The Comforter was so strong with me that there were many people that would say “I came to comfort you and you have comforted me.”  I am so grateful for the Comforter that Heavenly Father sends to us and the peace that is there.

While all of these events were happening on in the lives, our ward family was certainly filled with angels.  We started to receive a gift every night for the 12 days of Christmas.  We received pictures of the Savor framed, books, goodies to eat and a whole lot more, it was a wonderful diversion.  My children looked forward to the gift every night with much excitement.   The kids looked out the window to see who was coming to bring the next day of Christmas surprise.  But they never caught a one of them.  They were always so excited when the gift arrived and it was a wonderful time. 

My husband passed away December 19, 1995 at 12:00 noon.  It was hard to watch him pass, but he is now free from the pains of this earth and his earthly body.  Now I had to plan a funeral and get ready for Christmas.  Thankfully, my family was there to help, and one of my brothers and his family stayed for the whole Christmas time.  It was nice to have their company and support. 

All five of my brothers and their families, both sets of parents, and my husband’s brother’s family were there to give lots of love and support along with the Spencer 4th ward members and friends from work.  I was so grateful to have so much love and support and all the angels that surrounded me, it was a very spiritual time in my life.   

The Lord lives and answers our prayers through others.  We are there to lift the burdens of those around us.  There is a time to give and a time to receive and we need to stay in tune with our Heavenly Father so we can be receptive to the needs of others and lift their burdens.  I am truly grateful for all the angels in my life and for their love and support.  Most of all I am grateful for the love of my Savior and His guiding hand in my life.  

No comments: