Chicken Pot Pie

Audrey Call O’Brien
Provo, Utah
12/2010

Last night I re-learned priceless lessons through the kind service of an anonymous person in my life, and was reminded how immensely blessed I am that a wise Heavenly Father is aware of my needs, and prepares for them far in advance. Emotions mounted quickly as the reality of what currently was on my weeks plate became more then I could bear. The day had been "just one of those days"! Family interactions had blown up into a bit of drama and feelings were hurt, relationships were challenged, and frankly because I am just an emotional person I was emotional about the people I care about. I was feeling overwhelmed with the extra tasks the Christmas season demands, and lurking in the back of my mind some serious anxiety about an anticipated trip to Primary Children’s Hospital with my daughter. Before I proceed let me just say I am not a cook! I am not bad at it per say, I just don’t like it. It’s a challenge for me to get dinner planned and prepared and on the table every night. Our family life is so demanding that we usually only have the blessing of eating together on the weekends during wrestling season, but its super important that there is something of sustenance on the table when the girls eat and when the boys eat. I had been pretty on top of this in the previous weeks and days but as the day wore on I just didn’t have the energy to give. Just as my mind turned to what I could whip up and then as it lowered my weakened heart with that ever so ‘I don’t know that I have that to give tonight feeling’, a knock came to my door. and on the door was a freshly made chicken pot pie and a note that read ...

"Dear O’Brien’s, I realize that we may not have gotten this to you in time for dinner tonight, but we hope that this chicken pot pie might help make your week a bit easier. You can refrigerate it for a couple of days, or freeze for a couple of weeks but its better fresh. Bake at 425 for 35 min." 

With tears streaming down my face I walked over the oven and pushed bake and then the numbers 425. Then I walked down the hall and knelt down for a long emotional prayer. My Heavenly Father knew this was what I needed. And someone cared enough about me to follow the inspiration they received without any reasons behind it, not knowing what was going on in my life. I re-learned that I need to amp up my attitude of gratitude, I re-learned that I am not always the tool in HIS hands, that sometimes I am the recipient and that feels so good. I re-learned that I wasn’t relying enough on the Lord in my time of need. I re-learned that I need to get on my knees more
Nate, Audrey, Storie, Stockton and Saylor
often. And a new lesson,  I am making way here in this new home, new place, and that it’s not so bad, it still has its purpose.

A chicken pot pie made all the difference for me last night.


(You can read about Audrey and her remarkable family on her blog: http://hollandrocks.blogspot.com/
If you are curious about why 'hollandrocks' for the name of her blog, go to her blog and click on the link in the upper right corner. You will be blessed, I promise.)


No comments: